Thursday, November 23, 2017
The results of our home security survey showed a third of homes burgled in Ireland have a security alarm and yet are still targeted. Stop the Burglar say many burglars try to enter via a door on an alarmed house. That way they have 40 seconds before the alarm goes off. As the average burglary only last 2min, this is a lot of time!
Although alarm systems can act as a deterrent, particularly if they are monitored, other actions should be taken to manage your home security.
It is important to be vigilant if going on holidays, especially if your home is unoccupied. Get a neighbour or friend to regularly check on your property, switching lights on and off. Other than that, here are our top tips for nailing your home security:
1. Ensure that all doors and windows have strong locks. This is especially important for patio doors, which are easy for burglars to access. The more time it takes to access your home, the less attractive it is to a burglar.
2. Test your home security: lock yourself out of the house and try to get back in (without a key). If you can do it, then there is no doubt a burglar will be able to as well.
3. If you are away overnight don’t forget to cancel deliveries like milk or newspapers.
4. Keep your house as lit up as possible at night. Install lights near all outside entrances.
5. If possible leave a car parked in the driveway, maybe ask a neighbour to park there while you are away.
6. If you are out and about in the evening, leave a light or two on to make it look like someone is home. It’s also a good idea to leave a radio on.
7 When you buy new appliances such as a flat screen TV, dispose of the packaging carefully. Don’t leave the box outside your house. You may as well put up a "rob me" sign.
8. Don’t leave any valuables such as cash or jewellery lying around or hidden in obvious places. Make sure they are securely stored. Always take photos of valuable jewellery for insurance purposes. Ensure you have adequate insurance cover for valuables.
9. Use of gravel on your driveway or pathways to your property can act as a deterrent to burglars.
10. Keep hedges and shrubbery well clipped as they can act as a hiding place for thieves.
11. Use gate opener system like MIGHTY MULE 502
In an era where DJs want to be able to use different software, and not have to settle for just Serato, or just Traktor, the Allen &...
Regular, parents go to work and leave their child using a child care facility. There are a lot of applications and with so many of them ...
Solar concept is not new for us. As non-renewable energy sources are decreasing, usage of solar energy is increased. This solar energy...
The Internet appears to have had three major effects on the vintage watch market: firstly, in terms of supply; secondly, in relation to ...